This easy iceberg salad recipe features iceberg wedges dressed with a rich and creamy peanut dressing that takes only a minute to whip up.
What I like about iceberg lettuce is its crispness and mild sweetness. The high water content makes it refreshing to eat, especially when the weather is warm. Also due to its high water content, iceberg is mild in flavor, but when you pair it with the rich, savory and nutty peanut dressing, the salad will become flavorful and fun to eat.
Peanut Dressing for Wedge Salad
This iceberg salad is very simple to make. First, slice the iceberg lettuce into wedges. Then we will whip up the dressing by mixing peanut butter, mayonnaise, rice vinegar, and soy sauce together.
You can add some water to adjust the consistency of the dressing to your liking. I like mine to be slightly thick since iceberg is on the watery side. Serve the salad with chopped tomatoes, herbs and roasted peanuts for more colors, flavors and textures. Here I use chocolate cherry tomatoes which have an exceptional sweet tomato flavor. I personally believe it is the best tasting cherry tomato :).
Can this Iceberg Salad be Made Ahead
You can make the dressing ahead, store in the refrigerator, and use it in the next 1-2 days. It will thicken after being refrigerated, but you can easily adjust its consistency with water.
Please find the recipe with detailed instructions in the recipe card at the end. Here are other vegetable side dishes you may want to try:
I’d love to hear what you think about the dish, so please feel free to leave a comment and a rating if you have tried it. New recipes are added every week so let’s connect on Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest and Instagram for the latest updates. You can find my collection of Vietnamese recipes here.
Iceberg Salad with Peanut Dressing
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (to taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar (to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed roasted peanut (and more for garnishing)
- 1 small head of iceberg lettuce (about 10.5 oz or 300g)
- a handful of cherry tomatoes
- chopped herbs such as scallion, parsley or cilantro (for garnishing)
- In a bowl, mix together peanut butter, mayonnaise, rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, olive oil and sugar. Stir well until smooth. I recommend starting with 1½ teaspoons of soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of water, and then taste and adjust the consistency, acidity and saltiness/sweetness to your liking. Stir in roasted peanuts. Place the dressing in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes or until ready to serve the salad.
- Discard the outer leaves of the iceberg lettuce head. Slice through the core into wedges. You can cut the end to remove the stem and core, but make sure each wedge can hold together.
- Dice 1-2 cherry tomatoes and quarter the remaining. Arrange iceberg wedges on clean plates and scatter cherry tomato wedges around. Drizzle the dressing generously over the lettuce. Sprinkle diced tomatoes, chopped herbs and crushed peanuts on top. Serve right away.