This Asian Steak Bites and Potatoes features seared beef cubes and potatoes in a garlicky butter and soy-based sauce. It comes together in under 30 minutes and everything is cooked in just one pan.
This Asian Steak Bites and Potatoes dish is inspired by several steak bites pins I came across on Pinterest. I wanted to make a version with Asian flairs, and hence this recipe :).
If you haven’t tried, soy sauce and butter go very well with each other. Butter gives us a rich and smooth mouthfeel while soy sauce adds umami to the food. Together, they create a velvety savory sauce which is my favorite flavor-enhancer for beef stir-fry dishes.
Beef and potato always make a great combo. In this dish, I actually think the potatoes are the real star here because once tender, they soak up all the delicious flavors from the beef, butter, soy sauce, and aromatics.
This dish reminds me of my Vietnamese shaking beef (Bo Luc Lac) recipe, which also uses cubes of beef steak. However, this one is more simple and easier to cook with fewer ingredients while still very tasty. I made a short video showing how to cook it below.
🎬 Recipe Video
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for more easy-to-follow cooking videos!
The main ingredients are:
- 12 oz beef steak (I use ribeye),
- 16 oz potatoes,
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter,
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce (I use Kikkoman), and
- fresh thymes.
I like to use yukon gold potatoes for this dish. They are waxy enough to hold up the shape and fluffy enough to get tender and soak up flavors. You can choose to leave the skin on or peel it before cooking.
🍳 How to Cook Asian Steak Bites and Potatoes
In order for this dish to turn out delicious, you should use a heavy-bottomed pan like a cast iron to get a good sear on the beef and potatoes. A cast iron skillet from good brands such as Lodge or Staub will be perfect. Non-stick pans will not work for this recipe, unfortunately (except those with a coating layer that allows for searing).
Depending on how much food you are making and the size of your pan, you may need to work in batches. If you overcrowd the pan, you may not be able to get a nice sear and the ingredients may not cook evenly.
This dish comes together quickly, so make sure you prep everything before you start cooking. I like my beef cubes to be medium and potatoes to be all tender when served, so they need to be cooked separately.
1️⃣ The first step is to cook the potatoes. This may take 5-7 minutes depending on how powerful your stovetop is and the size of the potato pieces.
2️⃣ After that, we sear the beef very quickly, add butter, garlic, soy sauce, potatoes, and stir-fry briefly until all flavors meld together.
Detailed step-by-step instructions are in the recipe card. You can serve this dish with steamed vegetables (or salad like this green salad with sesame dressing) for a quick and filling weeknight dinner. Here are more tasty one pot one pan recipes for you:
My other favorite beef recipes:
I’d love to hear what you think about this dish, so please feel free to leave a comment. New recipes are added every week so let’s connect on Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest and Instagram for the latest updates.
Asian Steak Bites and Potatoes
- 12 oz beef steak (I use ribeye)
- 16 oz potatoes (I recommend using yukon gold potatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (divided)
- black pepper
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- cooking oil
- chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Cut beef into 1-inch thick cubes and mix with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and black pepper. Peel potatoes if you want, and cut into 3/4-inch thick cubes.
- Place a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat and add oil to coat the pan. Add potatoes and let them cook undisturbed until the bottom starts to brown. Then add thyme sprigs, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and black pepper, stir and cook until they just get tender. Cooking potatoes may take 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium high-high and add more oil to the same pan if needed. Add beef cubes and let them sear undisturbed for about 45 seconds or until they start to develop colors. Then flip to cook the other side for about 30 seconds. Add 1/2 tablespoon of butter and minced garlic, start to stir and cook for a few more seconds until garlic is fragrant.
- Add potatoes back to the pan, give the beef cubes and potatoes a quick stir. Slightly lower the heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Stir to cook to desired doneness and coat everything with the sauce. This should not take long, otherwise the beef will be overcooked.
- Adjust seasoning to your liking. Turn off the heat and transfer beef and potatoes to serving plates. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Definitely “steak bites and potatoes” not particularly Asian. Certainly delicious, I marinated the cubes of steak for about 6 hours with the salt, pepper, thyme, mice d garlic and just enough soy sauce to cover them.
Loved it! Added chopped onions habit they were very good in this as well. Thank you for this recipe greatly appreciated
Absolutely delicious! Perfect recipe! Because it was the best looking choice at the market, I made mine using beef choice tenderloin steak and am very pleased with that.
Thank you for sharing, this will definitely go in my top 5!
Great flavor and easy to make! Thank you!
Made it for dinner tonight. My son liked it and he is kind of pickie. . Will make again soon. Easy to make.