This Iceberg Lettuce Salad with Ginger Dressing is very quick and easy to make. The gingery dressing is tangy and refreshing, thus brightens the dish.
This is one of the salads I like to make when I don’t have a lot of time or when I have meaty main dishes. I will share the most simple version of the salad, and you can add other ingredients of your choices, such as cucumber or tomatoes.
Here are the main ingredients for the salad:
Lettuce: I like to use iceberg, which is crisp and refreshing. You may also use romaine or shredded green cabbage.
Related: you may want to try this iceberg wedge salad with peanut dressing.
- grated ginger, onion, and garlic
- oil, rice vinegar, and lime juice
- salt, pepper, soy sauce, and sugar to taste
I recommend using young ginger to make the dressing, because old/mature ginger tends to be spicier with some bitterness, which can be unpleasant to eat.
I like to add a bit of lime juice instead of using just rice vinegar. It makes the dressing tangy but not too sharp, as well as adds a fresh citrus aroma. I also add some grind toasted sesame seeds for slightly more flavors and thicker textures, but it is optional.
- Use romaine or shredded green cabbage instead of iceberg.
- Add some cucumber, cherry tomatoes or sliced red radish to the salad.
How to Make this Iceberg Salad
Let’s prepare the dressing first. Start with grating the ginger, onion and garlic. If you make a small batch for 2 people, a Microplane grater will work fine. In case you make a large batch, please use a food processor or blender to combine all the ingredients for the dressing.
Then chop the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and arrange on serving plates. Drizzle the dressing and serve.
You can also prepare ahead and store the dressing and the lettuce separately in the refrigerator before serving. I actually find the salad tastes best when the lettuce is still cold and crisp.
Please find the detailed list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
⭐️ I’d love to hear what you think about the dish, so please feel free to leave a comment and a rating if you have tried it. New recipes are added every week so let’s connect on Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest and Instagram for the latest updates. You can find my collection of Vietnamese recipes here.
Iceberg Lettuce Salad with Ginger Dressing
- 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, crushed or grind (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or your choice of vegetable oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 10.5 oz iceberg lettuce
- Whisk together grated ginger, garlic, onion, grind sesame seeds, vinegar, lime juice, soy sauce, oil, sugar, salt and pepper until the ingredients become a smooth dressing. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Trim and cut the iceberg lettuce into bite-sized pieces and arrange them on serving plates. Drizzle the dressing and serve.