This flavorful steamed chicken sticky rice features soft-chewy sticky rice, chicken, shiitake mushrooms and sweet sausages (lap cheong). Everything is cooked together in a bamboo steamer and then served with popular toppings for savory sticky rice.
The original version of this dish is Southern Vietnamese savory sticky rice (xoi man). Xoi man also contains chicken and Chinese sausages but they are cooked separately from the sticky rice. I thought why not cook them together to let the rice soak up the seasoning and flavors from the chicken and sausages? It will also simplify the cooking process a lot. So I gave it a try yesterday, and the dish came out flavorful and delicious, beyond my expectation.
Vietnamese people often eat sticky rice for breakfast, but there are also a lot of sticky rice shops that are open from morning to evening. You can certainly eat this chicken sticky rice for any meals. (unimportant extra information: yesterday was Mr. Delightful Plate’s birthday and he requested sticky rice for his birthday dinner).
To make this dish, you’ll need sticky rice, chicken, dried shiitake mushrooms and Chinese sausages. I strongly recommend using short-grain sticky rice which is softer than the long-grain counterpart. I bought my pack of short-grain sticky rice at a Korean grocery store. Please note that sticky rice can also be labeled as glutinous rice or sweet rice.
You can find Chinese sausages at a lot of Asian grocery stores. Vietnamese people love eating sticky rice with this sausage. Dried shiitake mushrooms are also available at Asian grocery stores.
Other ingredients include fried shallots, roasted peanuts, scallions and a piece of banana leaf to line the steamer. Another favorite sticky rice topping of Vietnamese people is meat floss (ruoc) such as pork floss and shrimp floss. We don’t need it for this recipe, but you can certainly add it if you have some on hand.
Cooking steamed chicken sticky rice
The cooking process is very straightforward and easy. All main ingredients are cooked together in the steamer. This way, the sticky rice absorbs all the flavors from chicken, Chinese sausage and shiitake mushroom.
I use a bamboo steamer to cook them. Asian grocery stores, Sur La Table and Amazon are some of the places that sell this kind of steamer. Step-by-step instructions and photos are in the recipe card as usual :).
More sticky rice recipes you may want to try:
I’d love to hear what you think about the dish, so please feel free to leave a comment. New recipes are added every week so let’s connect on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for the latest updates. You can find my collection of Vietnamese recipes here.
Steamed Chicken Sticky Rice
For the sticky rice
Toppings and other ingredients
- 1 piece of banana leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-5 stalks of scallions
- fried shallots
- unsalted roasted peanuts
- Soak sticky rice in plenty of water for 4-6 hours or overnight. When you start the cooking process, rinse the rice under water and put it in a colander to drain. Set aside.
- Pour plenty of boiling water over dried shiitake mushrooms. Set aside to let them rehydrate for 5-7 minutes.
- Slice chicken thighs into thin strips. Marinate with soy sauce, oyster sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt, grated garlic and black pepper.
- Slice Chinese sausage into thin strips. Drain shiitake mushrooms, slightly squeeze out excess water and also slice into thin strips. Thinly slice the scallions
- Wash and pat dry the piece of banana leaf and use it to line the steamer. Mix sticky rice with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and then pour it into the steamer on top of the banana leaf. Mix chicken, sausage and shiitake mushroom together and place them evenly on top of the rice.
- Steam everything for 16-20 minutes until the rice is soft and chicken is fully cooked. Immediately place a small saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the scallions and stir and cook for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer sticky rice to serving bowls. Top with roasted peanuts, fried shallots and the scallions oil mixture. Serve hot.