This roasted beet and orange salad features roasted beets and fresh oranges arranged on a bed of mixed greens. It is then brightened with an easy and refreshing orange vinaigrette.
Roasting beets makes them become tender and bring out their sweet flavor. There are many ways to make roasted beet salad by combining them with different ingredients and dressings. I already shared a roasted beet salad with cherry tomato some time ago.
Today, I’m sharing another quick and easy salad with beets and oranges. It is great for daily dinners as well as special meals during the holiday celebration.
Here are the main components of the salad:
Beetroots: buy those that feel firm and free of blemishes.
Oranges: I use regular navel oranges, and I think Cara Cara oranges will work too. Generally, we want to use an orange variety that is sweet, juicy, and provides some color contrast to beets.
Other ingredients: include mixed greens, walnut, and mint. They add more volume, flavor and texture to the salad. Besides lettuce, feel free to add some arugula if you like it.
Easy Orange Vinaigrette
For this beetroot salad, I like to use a bright and refreshing orange vinaigrette with a subtle fragrance. You just need orange juice, white wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and orange zest to make it.
How to Make Roasted Beet Salad with Oranges
1️⃣ First, wrap the beetroots in foil and roast in the oven until tender. This may take a little over an hour, and I recommend roasting them the day before so that there’s plenty of time to chill them in the refrigerator.
2️⃣ When you want to put together the salad, peel the oranges and cut into segments. Then peel and cut beets into thin slices. Beets can stain your hands, so if you are uncomfortable with that, you can use gloves when slicing.
3️⃣ Next, prepare the dressing. Toss beets with some of the dressing, then place on top of the lettuce together with orange slices, mint, and roasted walnuts. Drizzle the remaining dressing and serve.
I find the salad tastes best when both the roasted beets and oranges have been chilled. So sweet, refreshing and juicy!
Other healthy and delicious salad recipes to try:
⭐️ I’d love to hear what you think about the dish, so please feel free to leave a comment and a rating if you have tried it. New recipes are added every week so let’s connect on Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest and Instagram for the latest updates. You can find my collection of Vietnamese recipes here.
Roasted Beet and Orange Salad
For the Salad
- 16-18 oz beetroots, scrubbed clean (about 2-3 beets, depending on their size)
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 oz mixed greens (about 2 tightly packed cup lettuce)
- fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted walnuts
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced shallot (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Trim off the top of your beets and wrap them in foil. Once the oven is ready, roast the beets from 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until they are tender. Cooking time will depend on their size.
- After roasting the beets, let them cool and chill them in the refrigerator until you want to put together the salad.
- When you are ready to prepare the salad, peel the oranges and cut into segments. Then peel and cut beets into thin slices.
- Whisk together all ingredients to make the dressing. Taste and adjust to your liking. Toss the beets with about ⅓ of the dressing.
- Place mixed greens on serving plates. Then arrange beet slices on top of the lettuce together with orange slices, mint, and roasted walnuts. Drizzle the remaining dressing and serve.