This Steamed Tofu with Mushrooms and Vegetables in Oyster Sauce is flavorful and filled with healthy proteins. The dish is also quick and easy to make.
This recipe is inspired by a tofu and mushroom dish I recently had at a local Asian-fusion restaurant. I love that it has different layers of elements: silky tofu, meaty mushrooms and crisp-tender vegetables. Everything is coated with a savory oyster sauce.
Here are the main ingredients for this dish:
Silken tofu: this is my favorite type of tofu for steaming. If you cannot find silken tofu, I think soft tofu may be an acceptable alternative.
In this recipe, the tofu will be steamed as a whole piece. I have shared two other steamed tofu recipes before: steamed tofu with ground pork and steamed tofu in black bean sauce. However, the tofu is cut into thin slices before steaming in those recipes. So, we’ll have a small change this time.
Vegetables: I recommend using broccoli (or broccolini), carrot and onion. Their flavors go well with everything else in the dish. Moreover, the added colors from these veggies make the dish look more eye-catching.
Mushrooms: if possible, use a variety of mushrooms for different shapes and textures. For examples: beech, baby king oyster, maitake, and abalone mushrooms. It’s also fine to use only one type.
Other ingredients: you will also need some salt, pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and toasted sesame oil to season the dish. You can keep the dish vegetarian/vegan by using vegetarian oyster sauce/stir-fry sauce from brands such as Lee Kum Kee and Kikkoman.
How to Make Steamed Tofu and Vegetables
This steamed tofu with mushrooms and vegetables is pretty quick and easy to make if we can coordinate the steps in a timely manner. I will give some suggestions for the cooking process below.
1️⃣ First, blanch the broccoli florets briefly so that they are still crisp. Set aside for now.
2️⃣ While blanching the broccoli, you can preheat a heavy-bottomed pan. Then brown the mushrooms on both sides.
3️⃣ Next, sauté the aromatics and carrots, then add back the mushrooms. Now we can add the stock and seasonings.
4️⃣ Thicken the sauce with some cornstarch slurry and add back the broccoli. Toss everything together, and the sauce is ready.
5️⃣ The last step is to pour the mushroom and veggie stir-fry sauce over the steamed tofu. You can place the tofu block in the steamer right after browning the mushrooms. And once the sauce is ready, the tofu will also be heated through.
Finally, I like to sprinkle some pepper on top and serve it hot with some rice. I hope this tasty steamed tofu with vegetables and mushrooms will be added to your dinner rotation.
Other easy silken tofu recipes:
You may also want to try these recipes with firm tofu:
⭐️ I’d love to hear what you think about the dish, so please feel free to leave a comment and a rating if you have tried it. New recipes are added every week so let’s connect on Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest and Instagram for the latest updates. You can find my collection of Vietnamese recipes here.
Steamed Tofu with Mushrooms and Vegetables
- 9 oz silken tofu
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, divided
- 4 oz trimmed broccoli florets (or broccolini)
- cooking oil
- 6 oz mushrooms, trimmed and torn by hand or thinly sliced (see Notes for more details)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced or julienned carrots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- black pepper
- If your tofu block is thick, slice in half horizontally so the piece of tofu is about ¾ to 1 inch thick (2-2.5cm). Place in a shallow plate that will fit inside your steamer. Sprinkle ⅛ teaspoon salt and drizzle ⅛ teaspoon sesame oil on top.
- Bring a pot with plenty of water to a boil and then blanch broccoli florets for 1-2 minutes. Remove when broccoli is still very crisp-tender. You can also give it a very quick rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside to let it drain.
- While doing Step 1 and 2, place a pan over medium-high heat. Once it is hot, add cooking oil to lightly coat the bottom. Then add mushrooms and sear until both sides are browned, about a couple minutes each side. Transfer to a plate.
- Adjust the heat to medium and add a little more oil to the pan. Add onion and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add carrots and cook for 30-45 seconds. Add minced garlic and cook briefly until garlic is fragrant.
- Add seared mushrooms back to the pan and give everything a stir. Then add stock and let it come to a rapid simmer. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce and stir well.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water, and slowly pour the cornstarch slurry into the sauce while stirring to thicken it to your liking. Then add blanched broccoli to the pan and toss to coat everything with the sauce. You can add ⅛ teaspoon of sesame oil to the sauce for more fragrance. Also adjust seasonings to taste. Turn off the heat.
- When you start Step 4, also place the plate with the tofu in your steamed and steam until heated through, about 6-7 minutes. When the tofu is done steaming, pour off the liquid that has pooled at the bottom of the plate.
- Pour the mushroom and vegetables stir-fry mixture over the steamed tofu. Sprinkle some pepper on top and serve hot immediately.