This Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes and Noodles is great for any meal of the day. If you are looking for something light, simple, healthy yet filling and delicious, give this dish a try.
Scrambled (or stir-fried) eggs with tomatoes is a staple dish in both Vietnamese and Chinese cooking. In Vietnam, even those who are not well-versed in cooking can put it together as a last resort. The implication here is that this tasty dish is super quick and easy to make.
When I was a kid, we usually served scrambled eggs and tomatoes with rice. Recently, my friend, a Vietnamese chef with Chinese heritage, asked if I had tried it with stir-fried noodles. I said no, and she showed me how her family made it, hence this recipe.
💡 Recipe Highlights
- This noodles with scrambled eggs is super fast and simple. You can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- The dish features soft and luscious eggs and umami tomatoes which are placed over slippery pan-fried rice noodles.
- Green veggies can be added to give it a complete nutrition profile.
- It is a filling meatless (and vegetarian) noodle dish.
🎬 Recipe Video
Watch how quick and easy it is to make this tomato and egg stir-fry with noodles.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for more easy-to-follow cooking videos!
- Eggs: try to use good quality eggs such as those from local farmers’ markets since this is the star of the dish.
- Tomatoes: use ripe tomatoes, which are red and juicy. Depending on your tomatoes, you may want to add a pinch of sugar to bring out the taste. For me, it’s not needed.
- Rice noodles: you can use either dried or fresh rice noodles (known as phở in Vietnamese), the same type you would use for beef pho or chicken pho noodle soup. You can use ho fun noodles too.
- Green veggies: I like to use choy sum, which is the traditional choice according to my chef friend. I think bok choy, spinach, or even beansprouts will work.
- Aromatics: ginger and onion. It is fine to omit the onion.
- Seasonings: dark soy sauce (I use Lee Kum Kee), salt, and pepper.
🍳 How to Make Scrambled Eggs with Noodles
1️⃣ Preparing the rice noodles
If you use dried noodles, I suggest starting with preparing them according to package instructions first so that there’s a bit of time to let them drain. Then toss noodles with a bit of dark soy sauce.
2️⃣ Making tomato and egg stir-fry
Pour the beaten eggs into the pan. Once you see the egg starts to set around the edges, push the outer edges towards the center. Then remove it from the pan while still runny.
Note: I prefer a nonstick pan to scramble eggs.
Next, stir-fry the tomato until it is softened and saucy. Then return the scrambled eggs and mix to combine.
3️⃣ Putting together noodles and stir-fried eggs
If you like to add green veggies, stir-fry for several minutes until cooked through and set aside. Then stir-fry noodles briefly until hot before adding back the veggies.
Note: I prefer a heavy-bottomed skillet to stir-fry the noodles to give it some browning and more flavors.
Place the noodles and veggies on serving plates and top with the stir-fried tomato and egg mixture. You can garnish with some chopped scallions and put some soy sauce on the side.
⏳ How to Make Ahead and Store
We sometimes cook this noodles with stir-fried tomato and egg ahead for breakfast the next day. Here’s how you can make ahead and store it:
- Follow all cooking steps as in the recipe card.
- Store the stir-fried noodles and the scrambled eggs mixture in two separate food containers. Cover with lids tightly and place in the refrigerator.
- When you want to eat it, transfer the stir-fried noodles to a plate and microwave briefly. Then place the eggs and tomatoes mixture over the noodles and continue to microwave until everything is heated.
🥢 Related Recipes
Other noodle recipes you may want to try:
⭐️ I’d love to hear what you think about the dish, so please feel free to leave a comment and a rating if you have tried it. New recipes are added every week so let’s connect on Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest and Instagram for the latest updates. You can find my collection of Vietnamese recipes here.
Tomato and Egg Stir-fry with Noodle
- 3.5 oz dried rice noodles (or 2 servings of fresh noodles)
- cooking oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced yellow onions (about 50g, optional)
- 3-4 medium to large ripe tomatoes, cut into thin wedges (about 12-14oz/350-400g)
- 3.5 oz choy sum, cut into 2-inch short sections (or bok choy, spinach, beansprouts)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions (for garnishing)
- Prepare rice noodles according to package instructions and let them drain well. Then toss with the dark soy sauce.
- Place a nonstick pan over medium heat and add some cooking oil. Beat the eggs with ¼ teaspoon salt, then pour the beaten eggs into the pan. Once you see the egg start to set around the edges, push the outer edges towards the center. Then remove it from the pan while still runny.
- Add some more cooking oil to the same pan. Then add half of the minced ginger and cook briefly until fragrant. Add the sliced onions and continue to stir and cook for another minute.
- Add tomatoes to the pan. Stir-fry and let them cook down until softened and saucy. You can also add 1-2 teaspoons of water to help them break down. This may take 4-5 minutes. Season with ⅛ of salt (or to taste).
- Add scrambled eggs back to the pan, break up the eggs and toss with the tomatoes briefly. Remove the pan from the heat and set the eggs and tomatoes mixture aside.
- Place a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat and add cooking oil. Once the oil is hot, add choy sum. Stir-fry until the vegetable is crisp-tender. You can add a small splash of water to help the vegetable cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add some oil and the remaining minced ginger. Sauté briefly until fragrant then add the rice noodles. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes and then add back the vegetable. Toss to combine and season lightly with the remaining salt (or to taste).
- Transfer stir-fried rice noodles and vegetable to serving plates. Place the scrambled eggs and tomatoes mixture over the noodles. Sprinkle plenty of black pepper and garnish with chopped scallion. Serve right away.