This Asian Glazed Salmon is so quick and easy to make with just a handful of ingredients. It is delicious with medium pan-seared salmon and a honey fish sauce glaze.
My most favorite ways to cook salmon are steaming and pan-searing. This Asian honey glazed salmon is our latest quick salmon recipe for dinner. You can cook it in just 15 minutes and serve it with either steamed rice or soba noodles and green vegetables.
The glaze is made from honey and fish sauce, giving the dish a mouthwatering sweet-savory taste. This flavor combination actually reminds me of Vietnamese caramelized salmon.
Watch How to Make Glazed Salmon
This recipe has a super short list of ingredients and here are the main ones:
- salmon: I prefer salmon fillets that aren’t too thick, around 1 – 1 1/2 inch thick
- fish sauce
- five-spice powder: you can find this spice mix at some large regular grocery stores, any Asian grocery stores or order it from Amazon. Some of the brands I often use are Frontier and Simply Organic
- salt and pepper
(1) Making the sauce: the sauce is made by simmering a mixture of honey and fish sauce with a pinch of five-spice powder and black pepper briefly. This glaze is quite similar to the one I used for fish sauce chicken wings.
(2) Pan-searing the salmon: we want the skin to be crispy, and the inside is medium-cooked. To do so, it’s best if you can remove the salmon from the fridge and let it sit on the counter to come a bit closer to room temperature. Then pat it dry, heat the pan, and cook it skin side down for about 3-4 minutes and then the other side for another 1-2 minutes.
Cooking time will depend on the thickness of your salmon fillets. Again, I like to use those that are about 1- 1 1/2 inch (about 3.5cm) thick. I strongly recommend removing all the oil from the pan at the end of this step.
(3) Glazing the salmon: pour the sauce into the pan and spoon it over the fillets several times, then transfer the salmon with the glaze to serving plates. The dish is now ready to be served.
The full list of ingredients and instruction are in the recipe card below. I hope you will enjoy it.
I’d love to hear what you think about the dish, so please feel free to leave a comment and a rating if you have tried it. New recipes are added every week so let’s connect on Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest and Instagram for the latest updates. You can find my collection of Vietnamese recipes here.
Asian Glazed Salmon
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 lb salmon fillets skin-on, pat dry (up to 1 1/2-inch thick, about 3.5cm)
- pinch of salt
- cooking oil
- To a small saucepan, add 3 tablespoons fish sauce, ½ teaspoon black pepper, scant ¼ teaspoon five-spice powder and 3 tablespoons honey. Turn on the heat to medium and stir to combine the ingredients. Let the sauce simmer for a couple minutes or until it is bubbling all over the surface as in the video. Transfer the sauce to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Sprinkle small pinches of salt and black pepper over the salmon fillets. Once the pan is hot, place the salmon fillets skin-side down and sear for 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove all the oil from the pan. You can use a spoon to do this, or temporarily take the salmon out of the pan to discard the oil and then put the salmon back to the pan.
- Pour the sauce into the pan and give it about 20 seconds to simmer gently. Place the fillets skin side down and use a spoon to baste them with the sauce for a few more minutes.
- Transfer the salmon with all the sauce to serving plates and serve right away.