2 hr 30 min (stovetop) 1 hr 15 min (pressure cooker)
- beef chunks, carrots - lemongrass, garlic, shallot, star anise, five spice powder - seasonings & spices
1. Sauté the aromatics until fragrant.
2. Sear the beef chunks.
3. Add seasonings.
4. Add water (or a combination of water and beef stock).
5. Skim off excess foam, then cover and simmer until almost tender to your liking.
6. Add carrots and simmer until everything is tender. Thicken the stew with some cornstarch slurry.
You can serve the beef stew with banh mi (baguettes), egg noodles or rice noodles.