Rice vermicelli noodles (bún) are round rice noodles. They are white in color and soft with some elasticity. They also come in different sizes. The most commonly used one is medium size. The extra-large one is used in Bun bo Hue (Vietnamese Spicy Beef Noodle Soup).
How to use rice vermicelli noodles
You can use vermicelli noodles in noodle soups, noodle salad and in fresh spring rolls.
In Vietnam, it is very easy to find fresh vermicelli noodles, but outside of Vietnam, it is more common to use the dried ones. There are usually two ways to prepare the dried noodles.
- The first way is to cook them in boiling water on the stovetop for 6-7 minutes (depending on brand). After boiling time is over, you will need to rinse them under cold water.
- The second way is to soak them in water and it takes much longer this way.
Where to buy and best vermicelli noodle brands
Asian grocery stores carry dried bun noodles of many brands. My favorite brand is Bamboo Tree. The texture is the most similar to what we eat in Vietnam.
If your Asian grocery stores don’t carry this brand, another good one is the Three Ladies brand. The Three Ladies brand can also be purchased from Amazon.
Recipes that use rice vermicelli noodles
- Vietnamese Beef Noodle Salad (Bun Bo Xao)
- Authentic Bun Cha – Vietnamese Grilled Pork Meatballs with Noodles
- Vietnamese Fried Fish Cake Noodle Soup (Bun cha ca)
- Vietnamese Fried Fish Vermicelli Noodle Soup (Bun Ca)
- Vietnamese Bun thang (Hanoi rice vermicelli noodles with chicken, eggs and pork)
- Vietnamese Chicken Vermicelli Noodle Soup (Bun Ga)
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Pork Noodle Salad (Bun Thit Xao)
- 30-minute Salmon Noodle Soup
- Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls (Goi Cuon)
Disclosure: Delightful Plate is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We earn a small commission for qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. We only recommend products we trust.