Steamed peanut sticky rice in coconut milk (Xoi lac dua)
This steamed peanut sticky rice is so flavorful and satisfying. It is one of the best vegan breakfast foods. All components complement each other so well: soft sticky rice, buttery boiled peanuts, creamy coconut milk and nutty and aromatic toasted sesame seeds.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time4 hrs 50 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 cup sticky rice
- 6 tablespoons peanuts
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk (canned coconut milk)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
Soak sticky rice and peanuts in cold water individually for at least 2-4 hours or overnight.
After soaking them overnight, wash and drain before cooking.
Place peanuts in a small pot, add water to cover and bring to a boil. After it has reached a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until peanuts are almost tender, about 15-20 minutes depending on your peanuts.
Drain peanuts and mix sticky rice, peanuts, shredded coconut and salt together.
Transfer everything to a bamboo steamer or a steamer basket. Steam for 15-20 minutes until rice is cooked and peanuts are soft.
Add coconut milk and mix well. Steam for another 5 minutes to let all flavors come together.
Transfer steamed sticky rice to serving bowls and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds.
- You can add less than 6 tablespoons of coconut milk, depending on your liking.
- You can toast sesame seeds in a dry pan over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Leftover steamed peanut sticky rice can be refrigerated and reheated in the microwave next day.